[Dixielandjazz] Boogie woogie

Paul Kurtz Jr phktrumpet at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:46:21 EST 2020

OK, Marek my man, I’m about to stir a hornet’s nest. Down here in the conservative south of the United States, that’s old-style piano blues and not boogie-woogy. (or however you spell it rightly) Boogie is faster and doesn’t normally have as complicated a bass solo. This is the type of a song I’d get my plunger out, recommended by some guys in the Basie band, and cut loose on that thing. I’d be happy to play it till tomorrow sometime, chorus after chorus! I absolutely do like it, but down here, there’s a distinction between boogie and blues.

My wife, Pam, when pressed, agreed with me about it not quite being boogie-woogy. Now, she likes it, too, and says it would be great for a restaurant. You absolutely bet on that one; I wish we had that kind of music in our restaurants here!!

Hope things are going well for you in your world. Spring’s starting to get ready to pop here.
Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL