[Dixielandjazz] TRIGGER

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 8 21:02:48 EDT 2020

I was less amused than I might have been by the tale of Joe Venuti and TRIGGER ..because I attended a performance of Verdi's opera DON CARLOS (source of Mr. Byas's nickname, just as Donizetti's DON PASQUALE was central in the renaming of the fellow saxophonist Jerome Pasquall.

For some reason there was a horse of modest dimensions on stage, glimpsed through a gap in the scenery before being brought on so the reluctant bride of Carlos could be sat aboard.
A male horse it was, with four feet on the ground, when standing, and to cut a ...  or rather keep things short four feet hanging beneath the beast's belly.  The audience was descorously quiet. Depending on the time of day when she or he is reading this, a trumpeter or trombonist is welcome to extricate from its case their wonted instrument and neigh appropriately
imagining the French princess's posterior being jacked up into the saddle.

Hee-haw!