[Dixielandjazz] Flamenco Jazz

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Thu Jul 9 12:53:31 EDT 2020

Here’s a live concert I played in 1985 which was televised by Spanish
national television (TVE) & is now on YouTube.  I may have put it on DJML at
an earlier date, but if any of you are like I am, there is little music
going on at the moment, so might as well have a listen!   :>

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuLeR3qrqQU&list=RDyuLeR3qrqQU&start_radio=
1>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuLeR3qrqQU&list=RDyuLeR3qrqQU&start_radio=1

This is a big band made up of those of us that did most of the recording
studio session work for many years in Madrid.  Strangely enough, I was the
only foreigner in that gang for about 25 yrs!  Some really, really great
sight readers amongst those guys, who were mostly older than me.  I’m the
younger, bearded trombonist that pops into view from time to time.

The first song is a Flamenco Jazz arrangement by the leader of this band,
Pedro Iturralde (sax & clarinet).  Pedro is still a great friend.  We then
go on to a Glenn Miller Medley, followed by another of Pedro´s flamenco
arrangements.  We had a quick rehearsal just before the concert/tv show for
all those new arrangements.  Keeps you hopping, trying to keep up with all
those sheets of paper!

The credits at the end give everyone from the tv production, but not one
musician’s name.  Typical!

Although most of Spain´s limitations have been lifted, we must still wear
masks when out (big money fine if not!), and there is a limit on people in
each store, etc.  No clubs whatsoever are open for live music.  Are first
gigs are booked, hopefully, in the month of September.  Have to wait & see.
Anyway, everyone in my family, and everyone we know is fine.

Jim