[Dixielandjazz] Hoffnung (was Spencer Clark)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jan 26 18:37:20 EST 2020

> "ROBERT R. CALDER" <serapion at btinternet.com> wrote in part.
> Bass Saxophone Duet - Sons of Bix -Russ Whitman and Spencer Clark
> Don Ingle, of whom this site was untimely deprived, is on trombone on this performance. ebay is asking a lot of money for a vinyl LP on the Fat Cat label with among others Dick Wellstood in the band.

Dear Robert.
I miss Don and his cartoons and cassettes in the post.

>  Another maestro of the lower horn, not a jazzman, Gerard Hoffnung, did a hilarious skit with John Amis based (not bassed) on someone's experience of a German broadcast of serious intent which featured a lengthy lecture on an avant-garde composition which turned out to be extraordinarily short, indeed so short it still seemed short.

I don't recall that one.
But ah, Hoffnung!
I still have his LP of the Music Festival Concert at Royal Festival Hall on 13 November 1956 that includes the "Concerto for Hosepipe and Strings. 3rd Movement (Leopold Mozart)".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjYEwGlJ2UM

> I did once witness something similar... in which the player of a contra-contra-bass clarinet was balanced on a bar stool positively alpine in its height, without which there wouldn't have been enough space between the player's teeth and his shoes, in fact the space lower than the soles of his  shoes...

Which reminded me of this Hoffnung cartoon.

Very kind regards,
Bill