[Dixielandjazz] Spencer Clark

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 25 22:49:00 EST 2020

> Joe Carbery <joe.carbery at gmail.com> wrote:
> Spencer Clark, the bass saxophonist, recorded a microgroove album for Audiophile ca. 1962. It was, I believe, unique in that he was the only horn, with a rhythm section of piano, guitar, bass and drums. I know of no other album in which bass saxophone is the sole horn..
> Was this issued as a CD?
> I can't find it on You Tube. Does anyone know of its availability in other forms?

Dear Joe.
The short answer (to my knowledge) is "No."
Nor is the rare LP in my extensive collection.
The long Haesler reply is because the tunes were over-dubbed, multiple recordings utilising five sax parts (two alto, two tenor, one bass sax) all played by the wonderful Spencer Clark. Who is well represented in my collection.

The then jazz 'purist' in me did not like one-man-band recordings back then and could never accept over-dubbing and such-like infections.
It still doesn't.

Here are the discographal details.

"Sweet & Hot":
Spencer Clark (bassax,as-1,ts-1) John Everett Morris (p) John Adams (g) Paul Burgess (b) Mike Bodolosky (d).
Johnstown, Florida, March 26, 1978
    Makin' whoopee
    Out of nowhere
    There will never be another you