[Dixielandjazz] Listening To Quarter Tones - as promised

Al Levy alevy at alevy.com
Sun Jan 19 16:24:18 EST 2020

Happy New Year to you. (everyone in this list).  I am a little late in
responding for two reasons. I was in the hospital (5 times in the past 6
months), and just yesterday I thought of the perfect song to demonstrate
the implications  (maybe psychology) of "pitch".

For your approval: 14 measures of "All The Things You Are", Jerome
Kern's "perfect song." MP3 attached. I set it up as piano/vocal chart
but I changed the staves to Vocal, Brass Section, and Upright Bass. Not
a great scoring. I created it just for you. Anyone requesting the full
MP3 or the complete chart can have it just for asking. Please listen
carefully to the last two measures, 13 and 14. The last chord sounds
like it should resolve up!

Here are the lyrics.

   "You are the promised kiss of springtime that makes the lonely winter
seem long. You are the breathless hush of evening that - "trembles" (A
flat 7-G flat on top) on the "brink" (D7 - F sharp on top) of a lovely
(I cut it here) --> (measure 15) song."