[Dixielandjazz] Graeme Bell

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 16 19:24:06 EST 2020

> On 17 Jan 2020, at 10:02 AM, Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> asked:
> Do you know the Bell session which he says "Now Roger will give his weekly talk," and then Roger says something about a problem bothering scientists or something, and ends with: Now Dr. Bananas and His Boys will play 'Where the Bloody Hell Has Mary Gone"?

Dear Marek,
I may beat my dear mate and DJLMer Jack Mitchell with that one.
Recorded privately by Graeme Bell and His Australian Jazz Bend in Brighton, England on (allegedly) 29 April 1948.
Although Graeme announces it in the intro to track 5 as being the 28th April.
Never issued officially, but circulated at the time on 'John King' acetate copies.
It was eventually released on CD in 2000, along with four other tunes from the day, on Harlequin CD HQCD 158.
Mary was (apparently) Derrick Stewart-Baxter's wife's name.
Some of the patter mentioned by Marek in contained on the 'medley' track 7.
Kind regards,
Bill.