[Dixielandjazz] Air travel with a trombone

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Jan 9 13:21:35 EST 2020

Meg wrote:
A friend of mine will be traveling by air with his trombone for the first time, and he is looking for advice on ways he can make the process go smoothly.

Any suggestions you have to offer with be forwarded to him, with my thanks.

Dear Meg,
Traveling with a trombone can be a problem. Several years ago Mike Starr missed a jazz festival rather than letting baggage take his trombone.
However, here are a few tips for your friend.
Get his boarding pass on the internet as soon as it becomes available. Thus he will be in the A boarding group who boards first. That way there will be room to put the trombone in the luggage rack above the seats.
Get to the airport in plenty of time in order to get in the front of the A line.
Be very nice to the flight attendants. A confronted attitude will get him nowhere.
If he cannot get the trombone in the luggage above the seat, ask the flight attendant to put it in a closet.
If he can find out the model of plane he will be flying, and then the size of the luggage racks above the seats, he will at least be assured that the trombone will fit.
If he intends to travel a lot with the trombone, it might be worth getting a trombone traveling case that will be able to go with the luggage without being damaged. I did this with my banjo and took it all over the world with no damage.
Some where I have a paper that I believe is an agreement between the musician’s union and the airlines to let musical instruments in the cabin. If I can find it, I will send it to you. Perhaps someone else on DJML has it at hand.
Best –Bob Ringwald