[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 17:36:34 EST 2020

Just back from the third mini-festival of traditional jazz and swing.  This
year it was just a one evening event, as the club (Ha'Ezor, which means The
Area) was not available for the next day.
Two groups were playing:  Koby Solomon's Quartet played a BG tribute. and
then Eli and the Chocolate Factory gave its usual programme of jazz
standards.
For a Goodman tribute,  the personnel was rather unusual: clarinet (Koby
Solomon), guitar (Hazy Jayirt; since it's a Spanish name, it's pronounced
"Hayit"), Ilai (pronounced the way English speakers pronounce "Eli") on
double bass and Amit Sielberman on drums.  Other than the leader, the
others seemed to be in their twenties, although the guitarist might have
been a bit older.  I have not been as impressed by a guitar player in a
long time.  The group played the usual BG repertoire - "Flying Home," "Lady
Be Good,"  "Moonglow," "Memories of You," and ended with "Good Bye."  The
young bassist played several arco solos.
I have mentioned Eli and the Chocolate Factory so many times, that I won't
go into its personnel.  The group played traditional standards - "Down by
the Riverside," "St. James Infirmary," "Tiger Rag," "When You're Smiling,"
etc, and one Ellington number - "The Mooch."  Eli played cornet rather than
his usual trumpet, and sounded great.  I had the impression that the band
sounded better than the last few times I heard it, and that impression was
later confirmed by my friends.  The superior sound system  contributed to
the success of the evening.
To sum up - a very enjoyable evening.  Kudos to Eli, Ms Nava Pasternak and
the club for organizing the event.
Cheers