[Dixielandjazz] Check out my band playing Ellington's Awful Sad!

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 3 22:02:18 EST 2020

> gerard.bielderman at telfort.nl> <gerard.bielderman at telfort.nl> wrote in reply to Jim Kash:
> Serious jazz lovers (like me) will always be happy when there are some new tunes on a cd and not the old warhorses. So it should be a mix of standards and obscure tunes I think.

Dear Listmates,
I'm with Gerard.
I always look for new tunes and often ignore a CD if it comprises selections of warhorses or those taken from the list I call the '100 standards'.
The same rule applied generally with the tunes played by my several bands for engagements and recordings over the years.
However, I suppose it depends on the intended audience for the CD.
In Jim's case it is usually aimed at the point of sale; his tourist audiences. A memento. And therefore an exception.
And I know, from watching/listening to his videos and mp3s of his band, Jim does them all extremely well.

It is interesting that Madison picked that rare and neglected 1928 Ellington tune "Awful Sad".
A good choice - and it is an excellent rendition. Congratulations.
Although the 1928 version is well known to older collectors Ellington, for some reason he only recorded it twice in his long career.
And, as has been pointed out, it did not contain a piano solo. Why?
Oddly, the second (1933) rendition was never released, notwithstanding that there were three takes. Another "why?"
Cheers to all,
Bill.