[Dixielandjazz] RV: Check out my band playing Ellington's Awful Sad!

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Mon Feb 3 05:16:45 EST 2020

Madison T <maditayl at gmail.com>  wrote:

>We're about to start recording our first album. I've been sifting through more obscure selections of trad…

I have found, at least with our audiences, that people look at the list of songs on a CD, and when the recognize a few of them, they are more apt to purchase.  And, most are not avid Jazz fans.  We have included tunes by Ellington on our cds, such as Caravan, Mood Indigo,and The Mooche, but looking for “obscure tunes” seems to me to not be a commercial viable approach.  Perhaps one obscure number might be ok, but I wouldn’t search directly for those songs.  And, “live” recordings are more popular than studio recordings.

Anyway, it’s just my “commercial side” coming out, and needn’t be to your choosing.

Jim