[Dixielandjazz] Maxim Soury

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 26 23:23:03 EDT 2020

Derek, nice to see his name again -- the time before last he paid me well for helping complete his Jess Stacy collection --  but he did know Maxim Saury.

Magnum Soury is more like what Ken mentions with reference to unusual alcoholic drinks, perhaps MAGNUM SOURY could be a large volume of doctored or addled Champagne? But I too noticed the Inspector Hugues Panassie of the Surete and other jazzperson names when vegetating with "Murder she Wrote" running on TV.

My friend Graham Dunstan Martin as a lifelong Bechetmaniac, who sometimes came through from Edinburgh for jazz gigs before Ken and I were in contact, named the chapters of his congenial SF or fantasy novel TIME-SLIP after what used to be called Sidney Bechet compositions -- before the earlier lives of some of the tunes had attributions by others and even earlier. Great fun it is, set in a future Edinburgh ruined even beyond the efforts of city planners, even those who in the 1960s were thwarted by the money having run out.  Old paperback copies turn up at low prices on amazon, though no royalties from them for Graham,

all the very best,
Robert R. Calder