[Dixielandjazz] Uncle Yoke's Black Dogs

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sun Apr 26 17:45:58 EDT 2020

Hi Bill et al,

When I was with the Edinburgh-based Fat Sam's Band we used to run into
the Dogs on a regular basis in California, British Columbia and all over
Europe, so they all became good pals. Bandleader/trombonist Steve Yocum
was a great entertainer and communicator with audiences and the band was
full of excellent players. Drummer Ed Metz was (and still is) a knockout
player and we became good buddies (indeed I'm still in occasional touch
with him). They had an excellent hot trumpeter/cornetist whose name now
escapes me, but he was a hard-swinging lead and a strong soloist. There
was also a sousaphone player who had rigged his horn with low-grade
blasting powder wired up to a foot switch which detonated it. The climax
of the act was Tiger Rag taken at a lick and when they reached the "Hold
That Tiger" trio part, he'd fire off the charges under the trombone
glissandi. Of course, as well as startling explosions, there were also
vivid flashes and lots of smoke, so it always brought the house down.
Don't ask me how he got the explosives and detonators through airport
security! No doubt Bill will do his usual professional discographical
magic and conjure up their names.

At one festival in Holland I remember them asking about various local
drinks and we inducted them into the Sinbad Society, which was a great
sanity preserver for Fat Sam's musicians on the road. Sinbad stood for
The Society for the Investigation of Novel and Bewildering Alcoholic
Drinks and its rules were very simple: if you encountered a drink you'd
never seen before, you were honour bound to try it and report back to
the other members. We encountered a stack of mysterious drinks like A
Walk in the Woods (vodka, Curacao liqueur and angostura bitters), which
we were introduced to by a Dutch musician in a bar in Amsterdam. It
tasted great, was cheaper than beer and got you there in no time.
Another was a Danish speciality Swarze Svin, or Black Pig (vodka and
dissolved licorice), which had the dual benefit of being "strong licor"
and a laxative.

Does anyone know if the Black Dogs are still working?

Ken