[Dixielandjazz] Bob Milke RIP - Muggsy Spanier Video

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 24 02:14:50 EDT 2020

> Robert Ringwald <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote:
> Here is a link to a Muggsy Spanier video in which Milke is filling in for the regular trombone player. This was Bob’s first gig with Muggsy. his trombone player got ill and was not available for this TV show. this was around the same time Pops Foster had moved to San Francisco, I believe. on this TV show you can see the clarinetist kinda coaching Bob through the tunes. The show was called Jazz Casual. It obviously was recorded in the early days of TV.

Thanks Bob,
It is long time since I have seen that one.
When I started collecting jazz records in 1946-7 my first record was Muggsy's "Hesitating Blues".

I still have it. I had a financial choice at the time. It or Woody Herman's "Fan It". The rest is history.
This is the very one on Australian Decca Y5972.
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9slrs4kB0

> IMO the MC, Ralph Gleason, didn’t do a good interview at all. I got the  impression that the musicians thought that Gleason was asking a lot of dumb questions.

Radio and TV personalities are still doing it. From the ill-informed hip.
Kind regards,
Bill.