[Dixielandjazz] Sheet music sources

philwilking philwilking at cox.net
Sat Apr 18 00:08:34 EDT 2020

"Yellow Rose Of Texas"

Now don't go all ballistic on me. History should be about fact. One of the
worst mistakes one can make is to judge the past by current standards, and
this song was written more than 160 years ago.

I don't know whether or not this was a minstrel show number, but it is about
a black man who left a girl and now regrets it. At least Into the 1930's in
the USA the term "High Yellow" referred to a light skinned "black" person,
frequently a mulatto.

"If I Knock The 'L' Out Of Kelly"

A sign painter messed up a sign for Kelly's store and is afraid to charge
for his work, because Kelly may punch him.

"I've Got Rings On My Fingers"

Jim O'Shea was shipwrecked in the East Indies. The locals made him a chief
and he wrote back to his sweetheart describing his life and inviting her to
come out and join him.

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com

Those who would exchange freedom for security
deserve neither freedom nor security.