[Dixielandjazz] happy-birthday-billie-holiday-new-red-hot-jazz-archive-a-through-bix

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 8 14:25:29 EDT 2020

THE MATTER BELOW IS COPIED FROM THE SYNCOPATED TIMES

https://mailchi.mp/08cf30898ac1/happy-birthday-billie-holiday-new-red-hot-jazz-archive-a-through-bix?e=99d2c54b93

Scroll farther to see what we have so far, I don't mind, or read this why and how.

Redhotjazz.com was a crown jewel of the early internet. Starting in the mid ’90s it made the offline discographies and biographies of early jazz  available to the online public. It also hosted thousands of audio files, many donated by people who were digitizing their 78 RPM record collections for the first time. This all started long before Youtube and before Wikipedia was much more than a dream.

The site had a profound influence on me as a young college student who had just found a box of jazz 78s and wanted to learn about them. It's not unrealistic to think I wouldn't be running Syncopatedtimes.com now if I hadn't found Redhotjazz.com then.

The man behind the Red Hot Jazz Archive was named Scott Alexander. In the mid 2000's he attempted an open source model before the site was abandoned around 2008.  Despite several  years of effort we have been unable to find him or to secure the domain name and make the site itself available again. In December the site went dark for good, making that no longer possible.

As a last resort we are duplicating the content of the Red Hot Jazz Archive from a snapshot saved in Archive.org’s Wayback Machine.

The audio files will remain linked to the Wayback Machine to insulate us from any copyright concerns. They are in an early Real Audio format that will not play on all players. Keeping with both the original intent and mission of Redhotjazz.org everything will be publicly available outside of our paywall. For ease of use there are no ads embedded in the content.

Why go through the trouble? The primary reason is that Google search results do not include listings for pages on the Wayback Machine. This means a person searching for an obscure studio band of the ’20s will not find the concise and detailed information that Red Hot Jazz once offered. Instead the curious will find confusing and often incorrect AI generated results. If they find anything at all.

A secondary reason is that Redhotjazz.com is cited thousands of times on Wikipedia, those are all dead links now! As we slowly and carefully migrate entries we are checking any corresponding Wiki pages and redirecting the citations. We started this project in April 2020 with a reasonable goal to complete it by April of 2022.

While we are not updating the text we are making it more in line with the modern internet by breaking it up into proper paragraphs. Where available we are adding additional pictures and links to better information. We are also adding proper Google schema markup, and we are designating a properly sized photo for sharing entries on social media. All of this will help this material find the people who are looking for it!

This is what we have migrated so far. Irving Aaronson through Bix Biederbecke. All of the 177 artist pages should be done within two months. There are then 1000 band pages which will take a year or more to work through. Links to entries we haven't gotten to yet bring you to the Wayback Machine version.

Red Hot Jazz Archive

Bix Beiderbecke (1903-1931)
RedHotJazz Archive  April 7, 2020
Bix Beiderbecke was one of the great jazz musicians of the 1920’s; he was also a child of the Jazz Age who drank himself to

Barney Bigard (1906-1980)
RedHotJazz Archive  April 6, 2020
As a young man in New Orleans, Barney Bigard took clarinet lessons with Lorenzo Tio Jr. and Papa Tio. He played the instrument in parades

Sidney Bechet (1897-1959)
RedHotJazz Archive  April 6, 2020
Sidney Bechet was a child prodigy in New Orleans. He was such good clarinet player that, in his youth he was featured by some of

Danny Barker (1909-1994)

RedHotJazz Archive  April 6, 2020

Guitarist and banjoist Danny Barker, a nephew of drummer Paul Barbarin, discovered his interest in music at an early age and was soon taking clarinet

Roy Bargy (1894-1974)

RedHotJazz Archive  April 5, 2020

Pianist Roy Bargy got his professional start accompanying films in silent movie houses in Toledo, Ohio. In 1919 he moved to Chicago and was hired

Paul Barbarin (1899-1969)

RedHotJazz Archive  April 5, 2020

Paul Barbarin was from a musical family. His father Isidore was the leader of The Onward Brass Band, and all of his brothers were very

Smith Ballew (1902-1984)

RedHotJazz Archive  April 5, 2020

Smith Ballew was born in Palestine, Texas on January 21, 1902, the youngest of five children born to Mr. and Mrs. W.Y. Ballew. He studied

Josephine Baker (1906-1975)

RedHotJazz Archive  April 5, 2020

Josephine Baker was born in St. Louis, Missouri in 1906. When she was thirteen she dropped out of school left home and got married but

Buster Bailey (1902-1967)

RedHotJazz Archive  April 4, 2020

Like many of the early Jazz musicians from Memphis, Tennessee, Buster Bailey got his start playing with W.C. Handy’s Orchestra. He toured with Handy from

Lovie Austin (1897-1972)

RedHotJazz Archive  April 4, 2020

Lovie Austin was a popular and colorful figure of the 1920s Chicago Jazz and Blues scene. She was often seen racing around town in her

Sidney Arodin (1901-1948)

RedHotJazz Archive  April 4, 2020

Clarinetist Sidney Arodin is best remembered to today as the writer of the song Lazy River. Oddly enough, although he appeared on a great many recordings,

Lil Hardin-Armstrong (1898-1971)

RedHotJazz Archive  April 4, 2020

Lil Hardin-Armstrong was the most prominent woman in early jazz. She played piano, composed, and arranged for most of the important Hot Bands from New

Henry “Red” Allen

RedHotJazz Archive  April 3, 2020

Trumpet player, Henry “Red” Allen Jr. was the son of Henry Allen who was the leader of the Allen Brass Band of Algiers, Louisiana. Algiers

Irving Aaronson’s Crusaders

RedHotJazz Archive  April 3, 2020

Irving Aaronson and his Crusaders is simply the early name of Aaronson‘s band, which may have existed as early as 1923. Aaronson upgraded their rank

Irving Aaronson and his Commanders

RedHotJazz Archive  April 3, 2020

Irving Aaronson and his Commanders are remembered primarily today for their wonderful version of Cole Porter’s “Lets Misbehave”. The Commanders were one of the most popular

Texas Alexander (1900-1954)

Joe Bebco  April 3, 2020

As his name implied, Blues singer Texas Alexander was from the Lone Star State. He started performing at local parties and picnics in the early

Irving Aaronson (1895-1963)

RedHotJazz Archive  April 3, 2020

Irving Aaronson (1895-1963) was a silent movie accompanist from childhood, and he may or may not have been related to pianist Jack Aaronson who played

Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong (1901-1971)

RedHotJazz Archive  April 3, 2020

Louis Armstrong was the greatest of all Jazz musicians. Armstrong defined what it was to play Jazz. His amazing technical abilities, the joy and spontaneity,

Grégor et ses Gregorians

RedHotJazz Archive  April 2, 2020

Grégor Kelekian was an Armenian dancer and singer who lead a Jazz band in Paris in the late 1920s and early 1930s. He is remembered

Jazz Films

RedHotJazz Archive  April 1, 2020

These links will take you to the Archive.org copy of the former Redhotjazz.com. We will be migrating this material to our website, outside of the

Red Hot Musicians (1895-1930)

RedHotJazz Archive  March 28, 2020

Some of these links will take you to biographies and discographies for these artists on the Archive.org copy of the former Redhotjazz.com. We will be

Red Hot Bands

RedHotJazz Archive  March 28, 2020