[Dixielandjazz] Perspective

philwilking philwilking at cox.net
Wed Apr 1 17:40:52 EDT 2020

I am sending this to a large number of people, so I am using the "BCC"
feature to avoid swamping you all with unwanted addresses.

I, too, am getting "cabin fever" from the stay at home restrictions.
HOWEVER, a few numbers may show that it is effective in reducing the
severity of the pestilence.

Just 102 years ago, at the end of World War 1 in 1918, an influenza pandemic
started. It finally killed about 675,000 in the USA alone. That works out to
a death rate from the 'flu alone of 0.675%, if you assume the population of
the USA at that time was about 100,000,000.

If you assume the present USA population is about 350,000,000 the same death
rate comes to 2,362,500 in the USA. For a population of 300,000,000 that
death rate gives 1,925,000 victims in the USA alone. If we keep on with what
we are doing, we are not going to see anything close to that number of
deaths.

To me, it's worth it,
Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com