[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet, Tony Scott -- Sandy Brown

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 15 19:37:07 EDT 2019

My late friend Ian Begg, mention of whose presence at Evan Christopher's gig in Plockton in the Scottish wets Highlands amazed and charmed Evan (Ian was almost 90 at the time and had memories of attending Nick's in New York while a teenager on wartime duties), was intrigued when I mentioned a radio interview with Sandy Brown -- in which Sandy reported that Tony Scott was the LOUDEST clarinettist (further comment on Tony declined).. Ian remembered the considerable volume Sandy was capable of...
All of the few times on which I saw Tony was during the 1987 Edinburgh Jazz Festival, where he attended but did not perform in the course of the Bob Wilber Usher Hall dry-run for the 50 years since Carenegie Hall at Carnegie Hall...
But Bob has now departed too, I see,doubtless impoverishing the rotarians of Chipping Camden, membership of which organisation he liked to cite as a mark of how thoroughly integrated he was into England.
Chipping Camden's loss is the world's --and Bob's wife Joanne's, who graced the Edinburgh concert visually when Jack Parnell had taken over the drumming, by outdancing with Oliver Jackson any of those imitation marionettes on that British TV series with STRICTLY in the title -- presumably it was for some advice that Oliver during the interval had gone to the adjacent hostelry with Tony Scott, arm in arm?
Here's to the lot of them, and given the low temperature many thanks for the link to Autumn Leaves, definitely a large, early and welcome bonfire!!
warm greetings, Robert R. Calder

Bob Wilber obituary

|  |  |

|  |
Bob Wilber obituary

John Fordham

Jazz clarinettist, saxophonist and composer who brought the effervescence of a long-gone era to new audiences