[Dixielandjazz] Capone's Article

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 12:32:55 EDT 2019

Hello Bob,
Many years ago, Jazzology issued an LP "The Al Capone Memorial Jazz Band,"
actually a Dick Gibson band.  A friend of mine always plays it at his jazz
evenings to commemorate Al Capone's anniversary.
The story with the Ophir Band marching through the club when a band was
playing reminds me of the Geleen traditional jazz festival (unfortunately -
the first and last), when the winner of the Marching Bands Contest, The
Zulu Brass Band (I may be mistaken), marched into a venue where the
excellent German Lahn River Jazz Band was playing.  You should have seen
the surprise on the leader's face!  But it lasted just a few seconds, and
since he could not beat a full marching band, all those horns (not
saxophones), he joined it, and his band soon followed.  A wondeful and
memorable experience.
Cheers,
Marek