[Dixielandjazz] Sandy Brown again

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Oct 1 17:03:08 EDT 2019

Robert,

I'll pass your mail on to Norrie Thomson who is heavily involved in the
creation of the Scottish Jazz Archive, which is in the process of
getting started under the auspices of Napier University in Edinburgh.
Norrie may be able to shed some light on the film and, if he can't, he
might know someone who can. I'll also pass your mail to Graham Blamire,
the Edinburgh bassist who wrote 'Edinburgh Jazz Enlightenment - The
Story of Edinburgh Traditional Jazz', a huge tome of 596 pages covering
the period from 1918 to c2012. There's an enormous amount about Sandy in
the book and he's bound to have research notes covering a lot of stuff
that didn't make into it the book.

Fingers crossed

Ken

On 01/10/2019 21:09, ROBERT R. CALDER wrote:

> Looking for something not completely indifferent I chanced on
>
> sandybrownjazz.co.uk
>
> and some speculations on remote prospects of a film.
>
> I remembered the interview, which at first I linked with Chris Milne, a fellow Bechetmaniac who introduced me to the last years of the Sidney Bechet Appreciation Society, and Mal Collins. It was rather W. Gordon Smith who interviewed Sandy, however -- and I remember details of the broadcast, which I heard at the time of its airing in Scotland.
>
> Anyway as far as plain formatting permits  I include below details of the interview from on-line. It's possible that in bemoaning the dearth of material which could be included a mention of an unavailable interview dealing more with Sandy's acoustic architect work is somehow a mistaken reading of the note I put below.
>
> I do have various odds and ends of reminiscences from others, as I was nowhere in the vicinity when Sandy was playing live, though born late enough it's not yet a miracle I'm hanging on (or not hanged) my locations never matched his.
> But I suppose Sandiana could be assembled, I know something of non-jazz Edinburgh in the period … I won't settle for there's no time like the present, for any presents I have lived through have pissed through in the masts of time, or some rearrangement of those letters
>
> To: ian at sandybrownjazz.co.uk <ian at sandybrownjazz.co.uk>
>
> BBC Two England - 19 April 1975 - BBC Genome
>
> Network
> A series of programmes made specially for audiences in the BBC regions and now seen for the first time countrywide.
> Tonight, from BBC Scotland: Scope: Sandy Brown Edinburgh's Royal High School has produced many good jazz musicians, but none more gifted than clarinettist SANDY BROWN. And as an authority on acoustics his counsel was sought all over the world. Sandy Brown died last month.
> This film, made during the last year of his life, is a tribute to his musicianship, his science, and his memorable character.
> Producer w. GORDON smith
> Series coordinator FRANK GILLARD
> Contributors
>
> Clarinettist: Sandy Brown.
> Unknown: Sandy Brown
> Unknown: Frank Gillard
>

> --- there seems to have been an information hold-up on the contributors front?

> [...]

---
https://www.avg.com