[Dixielandjazz] Spain

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 24 00:53:59 EST 2019

Well, well, at least you weren't shot?
You might have irked some folks a lot?

It could be quite fun to make an adaptation of the Franco skit
in the age of General Banko

I remember Harrysweets Edison with what some people might have thought undue optimism dedicating "There will never be another you" to the sometime co-star of a chimpanzee in a Hollywood film.... I once tried to get a review copy of something which looked interesting, and the performer was pleased, until he looked up the Northamerican magazine I would have written it for, ninety-nine percent music with only music from me. Unfortunately the editorial included a suggestion that the chimpanzee's screen associate was not the most wonderful Mr. President -- so I never got to hear that CD.

and then there was the following banned record -- if the attachment works -- and I am irritated because allmusic.com wants to credit the accompaniment to Sunnyland Slim on piano -- it was in fact, and very recognisably NOT Slim but Joe Montgomery, brother of Little Brother Montgomery....   Bill Dahl in allmusic was in too much of a hurry and might have noticed that Montgomery was Lenoir's regular pianist on record for quite a while.
With the subsequent Ellingtonian Harold Ashby often on tenor, Mr. Dahl!
Tear down that misattribution!

Robert R. Calder

J.B. Lenoir Eisenhower Blues

 J.B. Lenoir Eisenhower Blues