[Dixielandjazz] Pianist's Name

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 17:36:21 EST 2019

Hi Robert,

On the topic of bop pianists who were great stride exponents, the late
lamented Eddie Thompson was given to inserting very fierce stride
passages into his solos, as indeed does Brian Kellock and as Kenny
Stewart did in his heyday at Milngavie's Black Bull Jazz Club. Mention
of Eddie reminds me that he was very disappointed not to get the chance
to work with Benny when Benny toured the UK with Herb Ellis in 1983, nor
indeed when Eddie lived for many years in NYC in the 1960s and 70s. When
I played with Benny and Herb in Edinburgh in 1983 I asked Benny if he
had run into Eddie on the tour. He answered no, but remembered hearing
Eddie in NYC in the Hickory House. It turned that when Benny was working
in NYC he used to go the Hickory House for supper and specifically to
listen to Eddie. I told Eddie about this when we next worked together
and Eddie, who was blind from birth, was very touched as had no idea
Benny had been there frequently to hear him.

Mention of Lennie Felix brings to mind the problem that bassists and
drummers had when accompanying him: his sense of metre was a bit dodgy,
so he'd occasionally, but unwittingly, miss a bar or two, or insert an
extra bar or two, or play a bar with 5,6 or 7, or 9 beats in it without
warning. It used to drive other musos nuts, but generally the punters
were none the wiser.

Re actors blacking up to play Othello, why not employ a black actor instead?

Regards,
Ken