[Dixielandjazz] Sarah Vaughan

Al Levy alevy at alevy.com
Mon Nov 18 16:22:08 EST 2019

Hi Bob et al, First vibrations per second create pitch. Fake easy example

Middle C let's say 100 vibrations - let's say D above middle C vibrates
at 200 vps.

Let's put C sharp at 175 vps and D flat at 125 vps.

There is an infinite number of possibilities between any two. (101 and a
half)

Quitting theory for the minute and back to music)

To Bob and anyone who can play a keyboard:

Play and Ab 7th chord with your thumb on middle C and your pinky on Ab.

You should _hear_ the Gb resolving down to F and your thumb note (C)
resolving up to Dflat.

NEXT: (You should still have the Ab 7th chord playing. If not, play it
again.

While it is sounding, Keep your pinky on "Ab" move your 3rd finger to E,

2nd finger to D and move your thumb to B. Play the new chord (E7).

You should hear the top key (G sharp) trying to resolve (go to) A.

I am having a "Columbo" moment. "One more thing".

Most string players (bass included) can demonstrate going from G to Ab
to G# to A by sliding a finger.

If I had a mic. I'd sing it for y'all.