[Dixielandjazz] the Dixieland Jazz dispute revisited

a. de lasimone jazz-en-ville at orange.fr
Wed Nov 6 16:24:37 EST 2019

Bonjour à tous,

How may I dare to give an opinion about that dispute ? I am French, not
able to write in english, white and, if I have played here and far some
jazz, I am just a “no-professiona l” cornet player.

Well, the question is why have I been “thunder stroken”, at the age of
twenty, when I heard Bubber Miley, Bigard, Adelaide hall? Satch and
hundred of black players?

In France , “l’art Nègre” had also stroken all artistic middles. It was
absolutely new and different of what our artists used to leave.

About jazz, the fact that the sound issued from an instrument could
imitate an human voice, shout and cry was absolutely exciting. And, what
about the very spirit of blues present in any black record? And the
African way of putting the notes out of time? And Bessie. And…

Baudelaire wrote that what makes Art, is “the ardent sob” . I can hear
it in that music. Remind “Strange fruit” .

Obviously, white jazzmen where excellent, high tecnic, their music
welldone, very clean and nice. But, for me, unable to give me a passion
that last sixty years later...

I beg your pardon for my impudent daring

Alain de La Simone