[Dixielandjazz] the Dixieland Jazz dispute revisited

Bert mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 5 02:47:06 EST 2019

Personally I wouldn't mind also calling the music as recorded by Bix/Rollini in 6 piece setting in october 1927 Dixieland, as long as it can be agreed there is nothing wrong with these works on musical values. Dixieland certainly describes it better than N.O. jazz or Chicago obviously and it is not very typical New York jazz from that period either. It think it typified the music Bix and Rollini loved to play most, but in the end could not find regular and lasting employment with. The Club New Yorker booking they had only lasted one month. Bix went to Whiteman, Rollini to London, where both of them could find more secure work.
The interesting parallel of course being that Armstrong also had no employment at all for his Hot Five or Seven outside the recording studio. In reality he was working in the orchestra pit in Chicago's Vendome Theatre, with Erskine Tate.

So apparently the market for jazz in life situation, in what we might feel as in it's most pure form from that period, was allready in decline in 1927. It needed to blend with other forms of more "commercial" music in order to survive. (I realise this is debatable, since jazz needed to be commercial as well) Allready at that early stage, which in effect of course it was allready doing big time for some years.

Kind regards,

Bert

Thanks for the copy Bert
Most interesting
 Of course Dixieland can be properly used to refer to the music of the ODJB but sadly we are way past that.
Regards Dan Hardie