[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Bechet tune hunter

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun May 26 03:07:55 EDT 2019

whoopsie -- posted this initially
by accident to Seattle,computer executive pal there
now back in the battle
after having retired and
found that unexciting
even as a mature student --needed to resume fighting
and is a splendid fellow
worthy of a hearty toasthearing the Dick Lee Bechet
on NWamerica's Pacific coast!

I can't remember where Johnny Chilton printed his list of what Bechet compositions really were, like before "(Bechet)" was printed after the title...

I attach several versions of SWEET PATOOTIE, which is the same as the Bechet song with Sissle's group.  It is the same but with alterations, different note values applied to the standard rhythmic figures, whether Bogan's pianist (I would say Ms. Bogan, but an editor reprimanded me for sexism when I used the gendered term of a musician some years back) or Doug Suggs (the real faceless man, because somebody interested only in the centre of the shot guillotined the photo vertically down a line through Suggs's left cheekbone!). Or Henry Brown or on guitar Curley Weaver,

Refer also to variants on THE DIRTY DOZENS, whether Speckled Red or Count Basie.If Bechet had been playing what he does not on clarinet but on piano, to borrow an Irish bull from Victor Borge, he'd have been singing in the cracks!

Sorry I can't send the music to everybody, but check YouTube.

Robert

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 18:51:23 +0200
From: Geneva Boogie & Blues 4tet <jakpiano at bluewin.ch>

Hello from Geneva,

I found in Anderson Sweet Patootie Sal, but I was looking for Sweet Patootie, the Sidney Bechet tune, not the Sweet Patootie Blues either
Youtube has also a version by the Grand Dominion Jazz band and the  Syncopators of Australia also
Would anybody have the score.
Regards
Jacques
Geneva Boogie & Blues 4tet