[Dixielandjazz] Lilies of the Valley

Ingemar Wågerman gotariver at gmail.com
Wed May 15 13:18:03 EDT 2019

One of my very first records (1958?) was Paul Barbarin's 33 RPM Jazztone EP
with LILY OF THE VALLEY (for unknown reason spelled LILIES…) In 2007 when
the Gota River Jazzmen planned a CD of religious music, I found that this
particular song has an interesting and partly unexplored background. Now,
after twelve years, I plan to report my research in book form, provided
that there is so much interest that it can be carried out economically.

I describe the origin of the biblical expression "Lily of the Valley" which
is taken from the Song of Songs, from the beginning probably a love poem
with erotic content, which later received a religious interpretation. In
verse 2: 2, the sulamitic girl says "I am the lily of the valleys", but in
the New Orleans song and in spirituals we sing "He's the Lily ...". This
mystery and much more, I try to find out in the book. Anyone who is
interested in religious music will surely recognize several of the
mentioned lyrics and melodies.

The primary purpose of the book is to find  the origins of Barbarin's New
Orleans version, influences from previous songs, various text and melody
variations and much more. The book contains a discography of bands that
recorded "Lily" and a special section with all Barbarin's variations.

If you search for "Lily of the Valley" on the Internet, you get more than
13 million (!) hits in many different areas, not just musical or religious.
I describe several of these. There will be many exciting excursions in
different directions!

Contents:

1. Jazz and religion

2. Song of Songs

3. Lily of the Valley, Rose of Sharon – She or he? Bride or
Bridegroom?)

4. Which flower?  Lily, Rose, crocus, tulip?

5. Biblical symbols and expressions in spirituals, gospels and other
religious songs

Lily of the valley

Rose of Sharon

The sweetest flower

Bright and Morning Star

Fairest of ten thousand

He´s my mother and my father, sister and brother

Bride-Bridegroom

Friend

Shepherd

6. Lily of the Valley –possible origins of Paul Barbarin’ Jazz version)

Louis Dumaine: Red Onion Drag

F. W. McGee: Everybody Don´t Know Who Jesus Is

O Happy Day

How Dry I Am

Where Will You Spend Eternity? (I Evighet)

Every Moment of the Day

Everybody Ought To Know

What a Friend We Have in Jesus

I Have Found a Friend in Jesus

7. Lily of the Valley Chords, melody, lyrics, different versions

8. Discography Lily of the
Valley*

9. Lilies and roses in other songs)

10. Profane lilies

11. Literary Lilies and Roses, facts and fiction, movies)

12. Other lilies, without any biblical or musical connection)

13. Bibliography

14. Tune index

15. Person index

The price is estimated at USD 20-25 plus postage, depending on the number
of interested buyers. Text in Swedish and English, about 150 pages with
many color images. Same format as my previous books (Down by the Riverside,
Jazz at Vespers, Alton Purnell Discography), 276x210 mm.

Planned release early 2020.

*If you are interested in taking part in this excursion  among lilies and
roses - send an email with name and address (no money!) to
gotariver at gmail.com <gotariver at gmail.com>.*

I wish you a fine summer! Ingemar Wågerman Prästgårdsängen 8, 41271
GOTHENBURG SWEDEN

PS Gota River Jazzmen will play in two Swedish churches this summer: Stora
Lundby church (Gråbo) Sunday, June 16th at 7 pm and  Öckerö church Tuesday,
July 2 at 19. At both concerts we will play Lily of the Valley.