[Dixielandjazz] Remembering Norma Miller "The Queen of Swing" (1919-2019) - Part 2

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 10 18:49:02 EDT 2019

Dear Marek,
My apology.
I hit the <send> button by mistake and my reply zoomed away before I had finished.
I was about to include this interesting internet link that names the musicians in Hellzapopin'.

http://www.yehoodi.com/blog/2018/7/23/seven-things-you-should-know-about-hellzapoppin

Slim Gaillard - piano, guitar
Slam Stewart - bass
Rex Stewart - cornet
Elmer Fane - clarinet
Jap Jones - trombone
C.P. Jonstone - drums

Mmmmm.
I also found this:

with the following extract to Betty Hall Jones.
http://www.uncamarvy.com/BettyHallJones/bettyhalljones.html

"The 1940 census shows that Elizabeth Hall is divorced, living in Los Angeles, with children Calvin and George, and mother Gertrude (who's moved back to L.A. to help raise the children and allow Betty to ply her trade as a pianist). In either 1940 (after the census) or 1941, Betty Hall married trombonist Jasper "Jap" Jones, who'd once been with the Oklahoma City Blue Devils, along with Lester Young. Although most sources say the marriage took place "by 1944", it couldn't have been after late 1941 because of the ad referenced in the next paragraph (since she's "Betty Hall Jones" and not "Betty Hall" in December 1941, she'd married Jap Jones by that point). Another milestone for December 1941 was the release of the Olsen & Johnson movie, "Hellzapoppin'". Jap Jones appears as the trombonist in the frenetic instrumental/dance sequence (featuring Slim & Slam, Cee Pee Johnson, and the Harlem Congeroos [actually Whitey's Lindy Hoppers])."

Tom Lord's Jazz Discography also includes the same personnel under Slim Gaillard's name and adds an unknown tenor sax.

Now to locate Elmer Fane.
Cheers,
Bill