[Dixielandjazz] Converting LPs to CD

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Fri Mar 22 19:20:02 EDT 2019

Stan Brager wrote:
 I often want to combine individual songs as a special compilation.
I've done lots of these.

Tommy Dorsey/ Sinatra (Sy Oliver Arrangements)
following each tune I have
Frank Sinatra & Sy (30 years later) same tune
same (similar) arrangements.
---------
Rare Maynard 78 rpm recordings with Charlie Barnet.
"All The Things You Are" "Gloomy Sunday" a few others
then Maynard with Stan Kenton the tune "Maynard Ferguson"
then Maynard - Birdland Dreamband - some takes off of
the large 18" (?) transcriptions.
-----------------
There are lots of "fun"things you can do.
Not only do I enjoy these, I hand copies out to my students.
-------------------
Jumping into the 21st century, none of this is necessary.

Log onto Youtube or any other of the services and it is possible
to find complete albums and / or play lists of anything you want.
from Bessie Smith to Lady Ga Ga.

My wife dared me to find "Frances Faye sings folk songs"
It took about twelve seconds.

I know this is an okum (trad, dixie, swing) list but if you never
heard Frances sing try "Bess You Is My Woman Now" (w) Mel Torme
and Francis  Faye. The "Porgy And Bess" 2 record set was on Bethlehem
and featured Jazzbo Collins narrating and many different groups
playing. Duke Ellington - The Australian Jazz Quartet - Frank Rossilino
singing. I bought the album when it first came out. It had
a handkerchief signed by all the artists.

BTW I used to play the Youtube picks and record them with "Sound Forge."
Now I move my choices to "the cloud" or "one drive". I can't "see" them
like a record or a cd but I can hear the choices where ever I am
 and when ever  I want.

My Lps and 78 rpm recordings are packed up to go with me.... wherever ....

Don't tell anyone. I just gave my fairly pristine 12" 78 rpm - Blue Note
recordings
to one of my teen age students.

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com