[Dixielandjazz] 1920s Jazz Research. Al Lynn's Music Makers

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 8 18:34:11 EST 2019

Dear Jazzmates,
Currently a local mate and I are compiling a CD featuring the little known hot dance band, Al Lynn's Music Makers, comprising it's complete recordings for Edison Records and Banner/Regal/Oriole et al.
We have the recordings, but can't find anything regarding Al Lynn or the band.
Trumpet player Red Nichols may be on several sides, including "Me And My Shadow".
Refer to YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INaflfMnG1Y

There is a basic discography of the group in Brian Rust's "American Dance Bands Discography" (pages 1164 -65).
And a Discogs listing for the Edison recording of "Me And My Shadow" provides a detailed personnel taken from Richard Johnson & Bernard Shirley's "American Dance Bands On Record & Film".
Do any of our DJMLers have (or know someone who has) this expensive, therefore rare, five-voume discography?
If so, we would appreciate a photocopy/scan of the Al Lynn section.

Al Lynn's Music Makers was a working orchestra in the New York area (1927-30, yet we have been unable to find any contemporary 1920-30s articles, photos or newspaper reports on the internet.
We have images of the Edison record labels (except "Indian Butterfly"), but only those on Regal, Pathe and Perfect for the other version of "Me and My Shadow."
And none of "Dixie Daisy", "One O'clock Baby" or "Would You Care" (not shown in Rust).
Cheers,
Bill.