[Dixielandjazz] 'New' tunes entering Public Domain

Kevin Yeates kyeates at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 6 19:39:03 EST 2019

Quoting Rocky Ball  "I'm curious about the idea of 'new' Public Domain songs, or compositions that have 'recently' moved into the Public Domain."
On the Dixieland Jazz and OKOM FB page this was discussed in late December/early January. Scott Anthony presented this as his support for the 1923 tunes coming out of copyright. This is copy and pasted from FB.
"Simplified as it applies to OKOM, as of 1998, all music published (including recordings which are defined as publications in this case) before Jan 1, 1923 was automatically in the Public Domain whether the original copyright had been renewed or not. In 1998 a 20-year extension was added to the copyright term, originally from 75 years bumped up to 95 years from date of publication.

This means that Jan 1, 2019 ALL 1923 tunes, Jan 1, 2020 ALL 1924 tunes, and on and on (hopefully). will become Public Domain. By the way, this applies to books as well - an article in the NYTimes about books that will become available actually prompted my original posting."
The following link was also posted in support of the same position.
https://lifehacker.com/these-1923-copyrighted-works-enter-the-public-domain-in-1825241296?fbclid=IwAR1SV2nCku9EwCky5fPnZpQYIXrWHSWFBpRPDQZTdTDiYfEni8cn2x8zDBc

Kevin YeatesVancouver, Canada