[Dixielandjazz] The Armstrong Grin

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 14 00:13:44 EDT 2019

>From some source in traditional balladry my late friend Hamish Henderson found the title of the book of selections of his correspondence over the years: nothing to do with Louis, but of course the Armstrong Grin has everything to do with everything.

I have heard tales of the unhappiness and so forth of Danny Barker, but one of the highlights of what can be called his performing life, though it did echo the line of the spoof magician and comic Tommy Cooper with a "not like that,...  like that!" except it was real magic, comes in a film where Danny referring to the Armstrong grin does a sort of spinster simper for a smile, highly amusing, before producing the sort of full and open person thousand lighthouse authentic one which was Louis entire. From the wonderful spread of teeth to the secret of the Universe, Danny Barker impersonating a melon with a segment opened out and shining with much more than sweetness.

The ultimate smile!  It should have pride of place on YouTube!
Robert R. Calder