[Dixielandjazz] Boring at BEST

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 5 23:20:02 EDT 2019

Jazz has many qualities, boring probably isn't one of them!
Boring is arguably not a quality of anything, it's a RELATIONSHIP and the fact that you are bored by something might well, indeed probably will indicate an absence on some part, whether the music or sausages or conversation etc., is somewhere lacking in what might, wood, can or could interest the party bored.
No doubt it is a quality or characteristic of some jazz that it bores Marek, but if he wants to say that his being bored by it warrants calling it unqualifiedly boring, he is not the fellow with whom I exchange off-list banter.
I don't mind people calling some music crap, so long as their comments don't get stuck in falsely generalising their relationship to it.  Probably we should say that the harmonic climate of some music is so uncongenial to Marek's usual moods, he can find little if any interest in it.
Of course with a few questions like this one, they're better taken seriously, otherwise Arts Council types of support might be too nearly strangled or cut off close to source.
Or as the salesman said to the poet, when trapped together in an old train compartment, "there can't be much call for that these days?"Because folks is prevented from knowing any better by the freedom of paid advertisingand some people's usual moods could stand a bit of emendationor even b sharp mendation,
cheers!Robert (surname supplied)