[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 193, Issue 32

BILL SHARP a1tradtrmpt at att.net
Sat Jan 26 13:14:50 EST 2019

When I was 35, 40 years ago, I was just gettin into dixieland. I heard Wild Bill Davidson on a local radio program “Dixileland’s My Beat,” hosted by Vince Marino ( Stockton, Ca).

Vince loaned me 4 albums which I put on tape, and Wild Bill was the first person from whom I learned my first set of Trad tunes. Definitely a Wild Man on the horn. When he played, I felt that he could peel paint off the walls.

It just so happens that during the past 2 weeks I have been revisiting my Mosaic 5-Cd set of “The Complete Recordings of Eddie Condon and His All Stars”, on which Wild Bill plays on many (most) of the tunes, once again reminding me of his power and command of the instrument. I have played through the set several times, once again being amazed at the complete and utter musicianship and the driving force of every member in the band.

Bill - "peeling bananas" - Sharp