[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 193, Issue 1

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Tue Jan 1 12:45:41 EST 2019

At 09:00 AM 1/1/2019, Jean Marc Ternois wrote:

>I found also a tune named Kamaquit credited to Turk on the album "Turk
>Murphy at the Roundtable".
>Jean Marc

That's another one I researched for Stomp Off.  I ended up leaving it
composer unknown based on these reports:

Ray Smith:  It's a safe assumption that Kamaquit is a Turk Murphy original.

Robbie Rhodes:  Bob Helm and Tom Bartlett believe that it's a
Jamaican tune Turk heard in NY City.  Mike Ferguson [long-time West
Coast music lover] relates, "Turk told me it was a South American
tune, and called it [gives odd spelling with accented letters]."  At
least Turk didn't call it his own composition!

Vince Saunders remembers that it was a contemporary tune Turk heard
on NY trip (he recorded it live at Roundtable club in NY in 1959),
not an old folk tune.

11/18/00:  John Gill writes, "Turk told me it was something he heard
on the radio.  Later on someone told him it was an old Spanish folk
song called 'Comofay' (my spelling)."

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org