[Dixielandjazz] a sensible set list

domitype and Associates domitype at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 01:47:03 EST 2019

Yeah, you have to gauge the audience for every gig, even if it is just the
“once a month” at the local pub. Things can change, and if you find a tempo
or beat that gets them dancing, run with it for a while! One of the older
bands I play in would take a 3/4 song and then shift to 2/4 to “jazz it
up.” I noticed that we were upsetting the dancers who really wanted an
extended waltz. I finally managed to convince the leader to keep it in 3/4
for the whole song, the dancers loved it.

Also, familiarity is a good thing to think about. The average audience
probably doesn’t want to hear the most obscure early Jazz tune ever
recorded, they want the hits. If you are playing for a “sit down festival
crowd” - that is the time to bring out the old odd ones!

I am not exactly an expert, only been playing Trad Tuba since the late
1970s, but I do watch the audience and dancers while I play ;-)

David Richoux