[Dixielandjazz] New Topic: Limehouse Blues

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Fri Feb 15 19:17:59 EST 2019

Al Levy wrote:

*	I have in front of me a full piano / vocal score [of "Limehouse
Blues"]

*	The key  is Ab
*	Chord symbol for the first four measures is Db9

*	(The fake books have Abm6 - really the same) except for the root.

*	In the PIANO score - with a copyright of Hal Leonard  - 2001

*	--- I thought it was a British song written in 1918

*	What (standard) chord would you use in the second and fourth
measures?

Regarding the copyright date - Hal Leonard has copyrighted their lead sheet,
music notation font and layout. They cannot copyright the title or chord
sequence, as these are not copyrightable. And the song itself is in the
Public Domain, at least in the USA.

I would use the chords from the original sheet music.

Jim O'Briant

Tuba / Leader

The Zinfandel Stompers Vintage Jazz Band