[Dixielandjazz] Sit or Stand

Kevin Yeates kyeates at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 18:06:09 EST 2019

Madison,
There is no question that standing allows for more movement/choreography. I think there is little doubt that sitting uses less energy to play. I suspect the players wanting to stand play wind instruments, but I have been wrong before.
In my band the rhythm section sits as that is what they prefer. The tuba player doesn't want to have to hold the horn all evening. The banjo player finds that having the banjo in his lap locks it in place better for him when he plays. We always arrange for 2 armless chairs for the rhythm boys.
The front row stands so we can move and put on more of a show. We have actual planned physical interactions going on through certain tunes. The 3 in the front row are spaced so the two seated in the back row are visible to the audience.
Hope this helps.
Kevin YeatesVancouver, Canada