[Dixielandjazz] Who Are These Guys (Rampart Street Paraders)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 9 17:32:51 EST 2019

 DaveH <srdaven at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just for the heck of it I did a Google search and found the bio on allmusic, written by Bruce Eder:
> "Artist Biography by Bruce Eder

Thanks Dave,
An excellent and informative summary.
All the Rampart Street Paraders' LP albums were reissued on CD by Mosaic Records in 2001.
Comprising discs 3 to 5 in the wonderful compilation set, MD8-206, "The Classic Columbia Condon Mob Sessions".

> Weston assembled the band he needed mostly with the veteran players who filled the studio music department ranks and session logs, and gave them the name from a street in Los Angeles that had become associated with Dixieland jazz over the previous 30 years or so.

Surely not.
Notwithstanding the Rampart district and Rampart Boulevard in Los Angeles, the name for the group came from the famous street in New Orleans, the popular Bob Crosby recording "South Rampart Street Parade", and the association of both with Eddie Miller and Matty Matlock, two ex-members of the original Bob Crosby band and both key founder members in 1953 of the Rampart Street Paraders.

There is also a Columbia LP album by the Rampart Street Paraders called 'Rampart and Vine' that I have always assumed celebrated Dixieland Jazz in both cites - NOLA and LA.

Have I been wrong for all that time?
Cheers,
Bill.