[Dixielandjazz] Chris Barber

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 15 05:48:04 EDT 2019

A somewhat sad note is the fact that Chris had such a following in Germany among the wider and not specifically jazz public that some younger (in their fifties?) musicians have been reluctant to take him seriously.
One day I was out shopping in Konstanz, no longer alas my place of residence, and along a lane I heard this wonderful music, above all the New Orleans dance hall swing which Al Morgan and Pops Foster and Wellman Braud lived (Elvis Presley stole it from Ransom Knowling, my mention of whose tuba solos on vocal records by "Doctor Clayton", exact namesake of the too early departed Peter, raised a low register excited murmur among exponents of the Euphonium Profundum).
I ran along the German lane and behold it was a mightily impressive sound system sending the better than good vibrations of the Barber band way 'cross town.
It would have been good if some other musicians had been making that good noise live, but the uplift the good noise gave me! Puts some air under the feet,
floating is better than fleeting,
Robert R. Calder