[Dixielandjazz] Revival no?

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 7 22:02:50 EDT 2019

Revival certainly YES -- REVIVING us with the youthfulness of the music!

I heard Doc Cheatham and Benny Waters in 1983 and don't recall ever having been so revived in myself !!!
Their powers to revive people of course were invested in a considerable continuity!

How odd that being exhausted, or "tired and emotional" is signified in Scots by the word PUGGLED -- and so far away from the dear home life Puggles of our now alas lamented Bob Wilber.  I remember the dry run Carnegie Hall concert in Edinburgh in 1987, and Jack Parnell drumming impressively as Oliver Jackson and Mrs. Wilber tripped the light fantastic around the on-stage bandstand in the Usher Hall. Such dancers!

Bob would be duly amused to have our sympathies expressed over the loss his departure inflicts on the rotarians of Chipping Camden, since he made much very good-humouredly of his membership of that superaugust body, the sustaining machinery of his Britishification.

In 1987 he'd forgotten his Edinburgh visit of a dozen years before, with Haggart, Lawson, Butterfield and replacing Vic and Ralph the also wonderful Benny Morton and Dick Wellstride, et cetera.  Later there was also Soprano Summit, Alec Dankworth's hands emerging from the vast sleeves of a grey suit (made to measure? where were you at the time?) into which he could probably have fitted his bass -- or Milt Hinton, for whom he was substituting very well indeed!

Chipping Camden's loss is our own!
Robert