[Dixielandjazz] The Benny Goodman Sextet Fields Requests on 'America in Swingtime' | Annotations: The NEH Preservation Project | WNYC

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 1 23:47:56 EDT 2019

> On 31 Jul 2019, Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you aware of these recordings?  Wonderful!  But then, I'm prejudiced - I've been his royal majesty's loyal subject for many years!
> Beautiful unreleased Goodman sextet radio broadcast! Listen online
> https://www.wnyc.org/story/206694-benny-goodman/

Thank you Marek,
Me too, as you know. I have most of his recordings on LP and CD.
Here are the details of the above broadcast for those interested I've compiled from various sources for those interested.

It is from the 40th program of the Municipal Broadcasting System (WNYC) Second annual American Musical Festival, 'America In Swingtime' radio series that included the Metropolitan Opera Company, League of Composers, Kolisch Quartet, Juilliard School of Music, Deems Taylor, Morton Gould, Philip James, Olin Dowries, American Ballad Singers, Ruggiero Ricci, Abram Chasins, Richard Hale, Benny Goodman, Golden Gate Quartet and Tommy Dorsey.

It was initially broadcast on 19 February 1941 and re-broadcast again on 3 October 2012.

The personnel of the Benny Goodman Sextet was Benny Goodman (clarinet), Cootie Williams (trumpet), Georgie Auld (tenor sax), Johnny Guarnieri (piano), Charlie Christian (guitar), Artie Bernstein (string bass) and Dave Tough (drums).
The announcer was Ralph Berton (drummer Vic Berton's brother).

The full playlist is:
Rose Room (ending), Flying Home, Blues In Bb Flat, The Sheik of Araby, Body and Soul (George Auld + rhythm), Gone With 'What' Wind and Stompin' At The Savoy (theme sign off).

The Sheik of Araby and Gone With 'What' Wind were reissued on a 2-CD set: Encore 7001. 'Benny Goodman A Tour de Force. The Small Groups - Live! 1937-1972' in November 2001. Available from Amazon for £93.00.
The other titles remain unissued on LP or CD, so far as I can find.
Cheers,
Bill.