[Dixielandjazz] Don Suhor

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun Sep 30 21:25:19 EDT 2018

To:  DJML

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Pensacola

Our friend Charlie Suhor has done a wonderful job of presenting the history
of his brother Don's  musical career in New Orleans.  He has shared with our
Jazz Society of Pensacola the CD and an article about Don from the Tulane
Jazz Archive.  As most of you know, Charlie wrote a book on  the definitive
history of jazz in New Orleans post World War II.  The CD and article in
Tulane Jazz Archive will be available in our Jazz Room at our downtown
branch of West Florida Public Library.

Thanks Charlie for helping us remember and appreciate your late brother Don.

-------

Message: 1

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 12:20:24 -0500

From: Charles Suhor <csuhor at zebra.net>

If you're a subscriber to Syncopated Times, the tabloid of record for OKOM
in the USA, note in the current (October) issue the 'article on pp. 31-32,
"Don Suhor: A Legacy for the Unsung." Last month, Scott Yanow gave it an
excellent review. Also, the current Jazzology Records catalog features "Don
Suhor: New Orleans Clarinet and Sax Virtuoso," the retrospective two-CD set
of his best work that I complied, mostly from privately recorded sessions.
He played for 55 years in N.O. without seeking concern for recognition
beyond his peers.

Charles

F.Norman Vickers

5429 Dynasty Drive