[Dixielandjazz] Pronunciation. (Gravier Street Blues)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 21 01:58:02 EDT 2018

> Steve Voce <stevevoce at virginmedia.com> wrote:
> As in Cootie Williams's 1939 recording of "Ain't The Graa-vi-yeh Good"? and Anton Crouch replied
> Gravier Street is a street in New Orleans, running between Perdido Street and Tulane Avenue. Does this help?

Dear Listmates,
"Ain't The Gravy Good"
Another one of the good 'uns.
Thank you Steve for mentioning that Cootie recording of Donald Heywood's 1939 composition.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdunohGNZgI

Anton (Off List to me) suggested that perhaps someone should check out the original 10 October 1924 Okeh vocal rendition of Clarence William's tune "Gravier Street Blues" by Laura Smith. That he does not have.
I do - and did.
To my ears she sings, "...I'll have the GAvyer Street Blues."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI33ErvszAU
{Last line of the song at 3:00 for those unaccustomed to vintage blues and surface noise.}

To complete the trifecta here is the first recorded version of the tune, a Clarence Williams piano solo on Okeh from 28 July 1924.
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd-t-fE7-xM
What would we do without YouTube?
Cheers,
Bill.