[Dixielandjazz] Dukes, Peggy Lee, and more....

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Sep 3 13:30:01 EDT 2018

Steve Voce wrote:

"Woody did a nice version of it, too, but I imagine dragging Dukes of Dixieland fans up as high as Peggy Lee is enough for one day."

Ouch, Steve!  Was that a biting remark, or what!  :>

Although I declared myself a "student" of the Dukes in my early days, I never said that was all I listened to.  Nor do I believe enjoying one style puts anyone on a particular level.  Depends on the mood & the moment, really.

On another theme, the name Santo Pecora came up in previous discussions of the Dukes.  I heard Santo Pecora at the Famous Door on Bourbon Street in 1958 when I was 17 yrs old.  My parents took me to see him on our one night in N.O.  I had already been playing with the early South Frisco Jazz Band for 2 yrs by that time, and was very receptive of the (can I say?) lighter swing style of Santo's band over the heavier 2 beat of our Frisco style band.  Enjoyed my night of jazz there, although our car was broken into, and all the clothes we had for travel were stolen.  Police said that the next day there would be some nicely clad "colored folks" in town & didn't do anything.  Not really politically correct to say such a thing, but that's the way it was then.

Actually got my first taste of segregation, me being a California boy, as soon as we crossed the Mississippi & stopped at a gas station.  Separate bathrooms & separate drinking fountains!

Anyway, I will certainly have a listen, Steve, to Peggy Lee's version, not being one who is a dyed in the wool anything!

Cheers, Jim