[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong and Maria Callas

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 28 16:35:29 EST 2018

There is some irony in my subject line. Marek asks about Wild Bill Davison having been referred to as THE WHITE LOUIS ARMSTRONG.
Listmates,  I present to you Linda Esther Gray and Marie McLaughlin and Isobel Buchanan and could probably present even more ladies whose having been born Scottish and had the equipment and gifts and application to become illustrious operatic sopranos proved decisive: none of the innumerable differences between them and the Greek-American vocal prodigy could restrain hacks from coming out with THE SCOTTISH MARIA CALLAS....
The chances of Wild Bill having been called the White Louis sometime by somebody must be high.  I've even been a Scottish Paul Robeson myself
Just a wearyin for Ken Mathieson to work out an arrangement for his CJO of Basie's
"King Joe" (Louis, that is, rather than Oliver)
Tote that Barrel, lift that beer, Marek!
no so curly-headed Robert Calder