[Dixielandjazz] Repeats - Chorus and Verse

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Sat Nov 24 18:13:23 EST 2018

Hi all and especially Bob Ringwald. Happy
Thanksgiving my best wishes, including good health,
for all your days.

This question is really for the professional musicians
but anybody can venture an opinion.

First: my background. I studied music and worked for the team of
Sy Oliver, Dick Jacobs and Johnny Warrington from Jan. 1950 thru.Aug.1955.
I helped with the copying of Sy';s arrangements, (creating "parts").
I did various functions at record dates. I ran the mail order business
for Dick and Johnny, and I took lessons from all three!

I studied at Manhattan School of Music from Sep. 1952 thru June 1955.
I was graduated with A Bachelors Degree in Music Composition and a
Masters Degree in Music Theory and Education.

Six nights a week I was playing "professional" piano with the Carmine Marino trio
from 1952 thru August of 1955. I was also writing for many bands, singers and
dancers in New York during this period.

Schedule: 7:00am - 1:30 pm - working for Sy. Sometimes I was forced to stay
all day. Recording dates etc.  The school didn't care so long as you took all the
exams or could do the work. (You can't fake sight singing!)
Time at school varied. I took the train to 103rd street and arrived at 2:00 or so.
I played piano in the Village (Greenwich) starting at 8:00 p.m. and quitting around 3:00.
Slept on the train, and at home, grabbed a bite, and back to the office.
Office work was five days Mon - Fri, Playing was 6 days Tues- Sunday. Sleeping
was all day Sunday and Monday night, Ask my wife! We would "date" on Monday
nights. She would sit with my parents and I would go to sleep. At about
11:00 o clock I would walk her home. We started dating in 1949 and we
were married in 1954.

Those were the "early" years. In 1955 I went into the army. I was a private in the
infantry. To make a long story longer, I got a call from the commanding officer
of Fort Ix. "Are you the young soldier who has been playing the piano?" he
barked. "Yes Sir", I responded. I was sure I was going to the brig.
"Can you play for a show?"... "Yes Sir!" I was assigned to a Broadway
troupe making a tour. (Tough work, but someone has to do it!) Gee! I have
to carry a few pencils instead of a rifle.
As an aside, I played for the first singer and she said
"Wow! A soldier who can play the piano."
I respond "No Mam' you have that wrong, It's a piana player in a soldier suit"

After the army, and I'll keep this as short as possible
I had an office in Times Square. 145 West 45th Street. I sublet some room from
Frank Silver, composer of "Yes! We Have No Bananas" and many other tunes.
I was recording director for a few small New York based labels. (free lance work)
I wrote scores for advertising agencies, did a lot of writing for Dean Kinkaid.
I worked for various Broadway Shows - helping with auditions, rehearsing singers or dancers,
arranging, copying and mostly  "ghost writing". I wrote arrangements for radio (live bands),
 and TV shows. I almost NEVER wanted my name in the credits. I saw bad things
happen to some people who were too well known.

Writing tunes is easy.
Every pro. player in jazz makes up tunes every time they play.
I didn't say good tunes or great tunes, or even new tunes.!
If you can improvise ......

When I arrived at my office each morning I would write out about 15 new songs.
No intention of selling them or even playing them. It was like having breakfast
or "working out" for an athlete.

In 1958 - I wrote a "song" poking fun at Rock And Roll. Three notes - One chord and
Four words. One of the agents took it off of my desk and gave it to some kids to rehearse.
He also gave it to Steve Allen and eventually it got published by Southern Music and
produced by Bob Thiele on Hanover Records. I wanted the to take my name off of the
sheet music and the recording. Too late. Within two months there were 50 air plays
a day and 500,000 copies sold. (Number 13 on the Billboard chart)
Okay, I'm sorry!

My reason for giving you this background: I have a question that has been bugging
me for about a week. I have the education and work experience to know the answer.
I don't know the answer, do you?

In transcribing music, mostly from 1920, 1930, and 1940 I see that there ere
two sets of lyrics for the verse of a song but NO REPEAT sign.
Also: There is only one lyric for the Chorus - and it has a REPEAT.
Hmmmmmmm

I don't get it!
Maybe you have an explanation. If so, let's hear it.
Also what is the source of your information?

You may quote the Harvard Dictionary Of Music, but I'll show you
at least one example where it is wrong.

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com