[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in Spain

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Wed Mar 7 06:47:09 EST 2018

This is a continuation of my last posting with some TV shows I did in the
late '70s, early '80s on National TV here in Spain.  The band and
arrangements are by Spanish saxophonist Pedro Iturralde.  I particularly
like showing off the caliber of musicians you could/can find in Spain.

Pedro became known for his collaboration with the flamenco guitarist Paco de
Lucia with what Pedro called "Flamenco Jazz".  Here is a jazzy version of a
traditional flamenco song.  I'm the trombonist shown in the first scene of
the video.  Funny, though, 'cause you can mostly hear the 1st trombonist
sitting beside me although the camera focused on me (and my slide is
following the 2nd trombone part which I was playing!....just a note for you
sharp-eyed trombonists out there!).

Flamenco Jazz, Pedro.   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XxKljQzbcI>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XxKljQzbcI

This is a different tv show featuring American jazz singer Donna Hightower.
I'm amongst the 4 trombonists, although am not featured in this video.  If
you haven't heard Donna before, it's because she was better known in Europe.
I've included a short bio on her following.  I worked with Donna 6 nites a
week for a number of years.  A lovely, lovely lady!

Donna Hightower,  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnfeXlHYzY>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnfeXlHYzY

"Donna has been recording her brand of sassy and soulful R&B since the early
50's for various labels like Capitol and Decca. Born in Caruthersville,
Missouri, she is better known in the UK and Europe and this is her best and
brightest pop moment. Her US career faltered even though she worked with the
likes of Louis Jordan, B. B. King, Johnny Mathis and Della Reese. She then
toured Europe with Quincy Jones and The Platters, finally deciding to settle
down in France. In the late 60's she relocated to Madrid, Spain and began
recording again. While she was signed to Columbia Discos Spain, her music
was distributed by Decca. In 1990, she returned to the US taking up
residence in Austin, Texas returning to gospel performances with the Calvary
Baptist Church and appearing on some radio programs. Sadly, Donna passed
away on August 19, 2013."

This is an "audio only" video of a jazz LP we (most of the guys in the other
videos) recorded with Donna.  This is "Broadway":

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyeuTnTXwhA>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyeuTnTXwhA

Funny story about the song Broadway:  I had just sung the song in a small
jazz club in Madrid when a listener came up to me, a young Spanish girl, and
a bit angrily said "why are you singing about "gay" people?  It took me a
second to recall the lyrics are "everybody's happy & gay!  Took a bit of
translating to get out of THAT one!   :>

Donna also got into the "pop" music scene here in Spain, with several really
large hits.  I believe this song was well-known throughout Europe. "This
World is a Mess".   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj3tzvrIbNA>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj3tzvrIbNA  I did a number of big shows
with her backing her on these pop tunes.

There's a lot more of Donna, and Pedro, on YouTube if anyone is interested
in seeing/hearing more.

Cheers, Jim