[Dixielandjazz] The Tel-Aviv New Orleans Festival

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 17:17:45 EDT 2018

When writing, I forgot to mention that the programme was rather eclectic.
A group called "Sugar Pie & Candyman" appeared with a "Beatles Come to New
Orleans" show and with Ella Fitzgerald tribute, the Eyal Vilner Big Band
played music much too modern for a New Orleans Festival, even though the
Looz Sisters sing in the style of the Andrew Sisters, and Swing de Gitanes
featured the singer Fantine, and there was one band from New Orleans - the
Soul Brass Band, which didn't sound anything like the brass bands of old
(having sampled it on Youtube, I decided to stay away).
So, in practice, the only OKOM  were the DSCB (on the 21st it played a
tribute to Louis Armstrong, featuring Michael Varekamp on trumpet.  Neither
I nor my friends went - we had bad experience with his last visit, when he
played something so outlandish that all of us, save perhaps one, hated it
(another friend said he "enjoyed seeing how we suffered").  True, I had
heard him before in better and more OKOM contexts, but that experience was
enough to deter us.
Thus, despite the exciting label, mostly not our kind of music.  One can
only hope that the next one (if there is a next one) will be better!
Cheers