[Dixielandjazz] Spookiness a la Steve Voce

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 23 13:33:30 EDT 2018

I hope Marek was amused by Steve's speculation on Marek's possible non-existence.
Unfortunately I was ill and housebound when Marek and his wife came to Scotland a couple of years ago, and thus unable to meet up in Glasgow.  He did telephone, or there was at least a voice with the accent I had assumed he would have when I answered the ring.
I am reminded of the bargain price LP on Saga with the statement, "Charlie Parker, the faceless man, for almost no photograph exists." This should have referred to Doug Suggs, who was almost photographed in 1950 or so, with various other then residents of Chicago, The left hand border as far as I recall runs down a vertical line about an inch nearer his nose than the ear which is shown. Only the face is missing. The identity of this faceless figure was well attested.

According to Marek he and I were at several concerts without either of us having heard of the other in I think 1984, at the Edinburgh International Jazz Festival and at a stupendously steamy set by Benny Waters and Buddy Tate plus rhythm in the upstairs bar of Ryrie's at the Haymarket. The following year Marek wasn't in Edinburgh, but there in Ryrie's was a poster with my name, announcing me as a performer. I remember an evening of glorious music, but not in Ryrie's. Nobody had asked me and I'd made prior arrangements including Harrysweets Edison, Buddy and Benny and more. So my existence might be in question?

This mail purports to come from me,all the very best,Bolden Cylinder (Dr.) (my usual nom de plume appears elsewhere in this mail, as it did on the Ryrie's poster)